If we should say no one saw this coming, then I would have to refresh our minds on the rumors that had gone viral long before the split - talking about last year. The deafening silence within the E.M.E label no one can confidently put a finger to the cause of the fracas; all anyone has are the tweets from Wizkid.
On his twitter handle, Wizkid has removed his management name EME/Konvict to Disturbing LDN (Tinie Tempah) and Godwin Tom his new manager after sacking Osaghie Osarenkhoe.
Reports also have revealed that Wizkid has moved out of the E.M.E’s ‘mansion’ in Lagos and acquired his own home in Lekki Phase 1, this was shortly after he bought his BMW X6 auto-mobile late last year.
Fans particularly were shocked because Banky W had pacified them in an interview only some days ago where he (Banky) assured everyone that nothing was amiss; he said all was well in E.M.E.
Trouble within the pack, evidently had been going on for some time now. It is reported that the E.M.E all stars concert which held in December last year pulled through only with the stroke of luck as Wizkid hardly made it to the crews’ pre-show rehearsals.
His tweets show a disgruntled perhaps frustrated young man and no one knows for sure why.
Speculations spew left and right that it has to do with his contract. It alleges Wizkid is unhappy with the huge amount taken off his income by E.M.E as conditions of his contract.
Wizkid is the highest selling artiste on E.M.E. The Man is suspected to be feeling ‘used’ as a money machine to finance the E.M.E Crew and the individual careers of other acts: Skales, Niyola and Shaydee.
These speculations further state that E.M.E plans to turn a stronger attention to it’s other artists this year with Skales releasing new videos after the success of his hit single ‘Komole’.
Niyola has also come strongly in the picture with her video “Don’t delay me” steadily gaining momentum in the music-sphere.
It is alleged Wizkid is afraid his new album which is in the making could be delayed as a result of this and so has taken his destiny in his own hands, but went on to inform funs on Twitter that He would only be releasing a mix tape this year and the Album inself will be out in 2014.
Whatever the reason is for this fall out within E.M.E no one is saying anything yet, but time will tell. But for now, NaijaOnPoint released some facts as regards the Wizkid/EME situation;
1. Wizkid is a Nigerian citizen (true fact)
2. Wizkid is a self proclaimed “studio rat.” As early as 11 years old, he was already singing.
3. By 2006, he got his break with Nigeria’s famed artist OJB. (true fact)
4. In 2009, at 19years old, Wizkid got an even bigger break when he began working with Nigerian-American R &B super star Banky W’s Empire Mates Entertainment Record label. (True fact)
5. Wizkid already put a lot of the hard work on the talent side before he met EME. From 2009 onwards, EME focused on the branding, artist development, marketing and promotions of Wizkid. (True fact)
6. Within and outside of Nigeria, there was NO LEGAL CONTRACT signed between EME and Wizkid. (Alleged)
7. About March 2012, when fans and the public screamed in excitement about the EME Wizkid UK Tour, Wizkid still did not have a legal contract. However, as a condition to perform in the UK and to get visas granted, the hosting country (UK) required a record contract evidencing Wizkid was signed to EME. EME, in a rush, put a contract together for Wizkid. (Alleged)
8. The EME-Wizkid contract (the first signing of a record deal) had a term requiring a 7 album deal. They promised this contract will be amended to the “real contract” later. (Alleged)
9. Wizkid signed the 7 Album contract, without reading the terms. (Alleged)
10. Prior to the signing, monies were split between the two in a 50/50 way i.e. monies made from concerts/ tours were split evenly. (Alleged)
11. In April of 2012, EME announced a joint deal, in a press statement, with Akon’s Konvict. EME claimed Akon would “produce and release Wizkid worldwide” while EME managed Wizkid in Nigeria. (True Fact)
12. Before we could blink, all of a sudden, Wizkid signed a management deal with Tinie Tempah in the UK. Really? (True Fact)
13. Banky W & EME allegedly never negotiated or agreed to such a deal. Wizkid directly negotiated and signed with Tinie Tempah. (Alleged)
14. Wizkid fronts his own label “Star Boy” under the blessings and umbrella of the EME label. (Alleged)
15. As it stands, the relationship between the EME crew and Wizkid has deteriorated to the point where Wizkid no longer speaks to members of the EME team, including Banky W. All correspondences are filtered through his new manager Godwin Tom. (Alleged)
16. Wizkid wants more money and he wants out i.e. reduce the 7 Album deal. He feels slighted because EME promised they would sign a new contract with him and now they want to hold his feet to the fire on their 7 album contract. (Alleged)